What is Lumbar Spinal Fusion?
Lumbar spinal fusion is actually an operation to put screws and cages to keep the spine
This is done because The spine (beads) has been leaked due to injury
Or because of a lot of pain The spine needs to be fixed in place.
This surgery is usually done by removing whole or part of the lamina.
Lamina may be around the spinal column, Cause tightness
This action causes the inflammation of this area to decrease.
Of course, any factor, such as a disk that causes pressure on the spinal column, should also be removed.
How long do you need to be in the hospital after this surgery?
Most patients are hospitalized for 2-3 days.
Before discharging The patient should be able to do this:
• Use of analgesic drugs as prescribed by a specialist
• Get up and walk alone and without help
• Bladder emptying
If the patient fails to do the job properly Or have any problems after surgery , You need to stay in the hospital for longer.
What activities should be avoided by the patient?
• Do not constantly bend and straighten
• Obtain a heavier body weight than 2-3 kg (weighing one gallon of milk)
• If a patient wants to lift or carry something, he should use his knees instead of the Waist
• Do not drive for at least two weeks after surgery, and do not drive for two weeks if you use anti-inflammatory drugs or a medicine.
• Do not exercise at all sports such as running, climbing and weight lifting until fully recovered.
• Once you have recovered, you can have sex
Note: Observe these restrictions for up to 6 weeks after the surgery.
How can the patient take care of yourself at home?
Keep in mind that your muscles and nerves need time to recover. And you may not feel fully recovered right after surgery And this is normal and it takes time to provide a full recovery.
Our suggestion to improve the treatment process is:
• After waking up , Walk for 1 to 2 hours to keep your body active and Your lumbar muscles are active and blood flow to your legs.
• When you get used to walking, you can slowly increase it.
• At first, do not push yourself and remember that the recovery process is a little bit of time.
• Prevent you from sleeping or standing or sitting permanently and for a long time and try to change your position at least once a minute.
• Stop any activity that can increase your pain.
It is important to freeze Surgical site at the beginning of the recovery period to reduce the amount of post-surgical inflammation:
• First, place a thin towel in place to protect your skin, and then use an ice pack four times and once every 30 minutes to reduce inflammation and swelling caused by surgery.
• Do not use more than 30 minutes because it may exacerbate the pain
Tips on washing:
It is important to wash the surgical site once a day with soap and water and then dry it.
•Do not be afraid that it will damage the site of surgery , A short shower will not be a problem.
What other symptoms may be Patient?
Reducing postoperative activity and concomitant use of analgesics may cause constipation
And the fruit and the proper amount of fluid such as milk can help with this problem.
When should I contact a doctor’s clinic?
• If a new numbness leg was created
• Severe inflammation and swelling at the site of surgery
• Surgery wound opened
• Green or yellow liquid or secretion from the surgical site
• Increased uncontrollable pain
• New numbness in your hands or fingers
• Numbness or disability of the arms or legs